This fall I decided I was going to make my first pumpkin pie. I actually never made any kind of pie before because I thought it would be so time consuming, and lots of ways I could mess them up.
I wanted to cook down a pumpkin and use fresh puree instead of the canned stuff. That was the hardest and most time consuming part of this whole recipe. I roasted the seeds and gave the pumpkin skin to our chickens. Everyone around here was very happy I made the pie, in fact the kids keep asking when I am going to make another one.. what have I gotten myself into!
So let’s get into the recipe, I used a recipe similar to the betty crocker pumpkin pie recipe I found online!
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
- Pre-heat oven to 425 Degrees. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt and oil with a fork until flour is moistened. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all the water is absorbed. Shape pastry into a ball. Press in bottom and up sides of 9 inch pie plate
- Beat eggs slightly with a whisk or hand mixer. Beat in sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, pumpkin and milk
- Carefully pour filling into pie plate. Bake for 15 mins
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 mins or until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow pie to completely cool, about 2 hours